Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tips for Oily Skin and Long Lasting Makeup

Oily skin can be EXTREMELY annoying... Imagine putting on a full face of makeup and having it all slide off your skin 2 hours later... I know thats a weird picture.. but it happens! And it's very annoying! So here's a few of my tricks for keeping your makeup looking fresh all day:



Check your cleanser
Make sure that your facial cleanser is designed for oily or acne prone skin. Cleansers I suggest are Cetphil Daily Facial Cleanser $9.49 and Olay Fresh Effects Shine Minimizing Cleanser $5.99

Face Masks
Treat yourself to a face mask at least once a week. Find a mask that says something like "purges pores" or "deep clean". This will help to really get deep down and remove some of the bacteria and oil deep in your pores. I recommend all of the Freeman's face masks.

Tone
Use a toner morning and night after cleansing your face. A toner is designed to get all the extra gunk (aka oil) out of your pores. Oily skin clogs your pores, so toning your face at night, releases all the gunk so that your face can breathe at night. Toning your face in the morning helps to remove excess oil so that you have a completely clean face when putting on makeup. Apply a quarter sized amount onto a cotton ball/pad and rub onto your skin. Try Dickenson's Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner $4.19

MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE
There is a myth that if you have oily skin you shouldn't moisturize...that is false! Depriving skin of moisture will only make the skin produce more oil to compensate for the lack of moisture. Once I started moisturizing my face morning and night I noticed a VERY signifigant difference in the texture of my skin and the longevity of my makeup. You just have to make sure that you are using a very light moisturizer... My holy grail moisturizer is the Nivea Soft Moisurizer $6.71. I can barely feel it on my skin but it definitely gets the job done! Another good moisturizer is Clean and Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Gel $5.49 

Prime
Primer is almost a necessity for oily skin. A primer acts as a barrier between the oils in your skin and your foundation. It also fills in pores so that it's harder for oil to seep out of them. Apply the primer after moisturizing then wait about 2 minutes before applying foundation to let it to set...if you don't let it set, your foundation will just slide right off. (You can start your eye makeup while waiting for the primer to set). A product you might not think to use as a primer is actually Milk of Magnesia. Dab a little on a cotton ball and press it into your Tzone before foundation...It actually controls oil really well! My holy grail primer is Becca's Evermatte $36. Others I suggest are Smashbox Photofinish Light $36, Reviva Labs Primer $12, Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro 002 $7.99.

Blot after applying liquid foundation
When using liquid foundation, I find that if I take a blotting sheet, and blot my skin after each layer of foundation, I produce less oil and my makeup lasts longer. Make sure not to rub though or you will rub the foundation right off! Try Clean and Clear's Blotting Sheets. $4.49

Swirl Don't Stroke 
When applying foundation with a brush, try using small circular motions instead of dragging the brush across the skin. Doing this will ensure that the foundation isnt just sitting on top of your skin but it's actually clinging to it. Try doing this with your primer as well.

Setting Spray
After applying foundation and before using powder, try giving your skin a little spritz of setting spray. Setting spray acts as hairspray for your face, locking on the foundation so it will stay in place all day. For extra longwear, try spraying it before applying primer as well. I recommend Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray or Nyx Matte Finish Setting Spray $7.99

Powder
For oily skin, powder is an essential. After applying foundation, take a setting powder and lock that baby in! Now although it is very important for oily skin to use a setting powder, make sure you don't go overboard on the powder! Don't make the mistake and think, "the more powder I use, the longer my makeup will last!" ... because thats wrong. Using too much powder will only make your face look cakey and unnatural. All you need is a few swipes with a fluffy brush and you're all set! (haha get it? set... I'm so punny ;) )  Powders I recommend are Rimmel Stay Matte $4.99 and Makeup Forever HD Setting Powder $34

If you have any other tips or products you use, leave me a comment! I'm always open to trying new products. :D  

1 comment :

  1. Really want to try the ceptaphil cleanser! It is such a bargain!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete