Monday, February 24, 2014

The Importance of Primer


I think primer is very underrated in the makeup process. Over this past week, I had to go to practice early in the morning(5:30am yikes!), so of course I missed a few things whilst packing my bag. Tuesday and Wednesday, I forgot to pack a primer in my makeup bag, so I had to go the day without. And boy did I realize how important a primer is to my skin.

Anytime I apply makeup, I will always prime my skin beforehand: it's just something I've gotten into a habit of doing. I never really knew if priming my skin did much or not, but after this week, my appreciation for my Becca Evermatte skyrocketed. In 2 hours my skin looked like an absolute mess...my pores looked huge and were very visible, my foundation was really patchy and you would've thought I had just gotten back from the gym: I was so oily. It was bad. Primer is important my friend. 

Benefits of Using a Face Primer:

~Whether or not you plan on applying foundation, a primer can smooth out the skin for that airbrushed      look. If you have a smooth base, your foundation will apply smoothly and will actually look smooth.

~It will fill in pores and make them less visible. If your pores are filled in, the foundation won't seep into them and make your face look icky.

~It will help control oil. No matter your skintype, we all produce facial oil. Using a primer will help to control the shine so that your makeup won't slide off your face or get patchy after 2 hours...which leads me into my next point:

~It will help your makeup last longer. If your pores are filled in and oil is being controlled, your foundation is more likely to stay put and look its best. A good base means a good face. :)

Primers I recommend:

Oily: Becca Evermatte Poreless PerfectorSmashbox Photofinish Light, Milk of Magnesia
Dry: Smashbox Photofinish OrignialTarte BB Tinted Primer
Everyone/Normal: Rimmel Fix and Perfect ProReviva Labs PrimerBenefit Porefessional

I do agree that it is hard to find a good primer that works well with your skintype, but with primer, it's all about trial and error. It is hard to find a good drugstore primer, so if you think you would like to give priming a shot, I suggest trying a sample of a highend brand. If you do happen to find a good primer that works well with your skintype, it will be magical and glorious. Just find what works best for you and you will be a happy camper.

*This post is basically saying that if you have not tried a primer before, I really urge you to give it a try! And I know primers aren't for everyone, but I think that everyone should at least experiment with a few different primers before claiming to not like them because like I said, it can completely change the way your makeup looks!

post signature

3 comments :

  1. Nice post, I don't often wear primer but maybe I should start. My make up always looks and stays so much better then when I am not using it!

    http://allaboutevesbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't wear base makeup but when I do, I will definitely be using a primer! My skin tends to get really oily so I think it's a very important step to help control oil like you mentioned x

    Kathryn | effievanity

    ReplyDelete